The Billing and Scheduling Representative must represent Mercy with the highest standard of customer service and compassion. The Representative will have a major role in helping Mercy Virtual establish best practices for the billing of telemedicine services. The position requires at least 3 years Professional billing experience. The Representative will facilitate all components of the patient’s entrance in to any Mercy facility. This may include scheduling, registration, benefit verification, pre-certification and financial clearance. The Representative will be responsible for ensuring that the most accurate patient data is obtained and populated in to the patient record. This co-worker must have an exceptional attention to detail and maintain knowledge and competence with assigned work flows. Accuracy in data and charge entry is required.
The Representative will perform all duties in a manner consistent with our mission, values and Mercy Service Standards.
- Greets every individual on the phone or in person with a smile and a warm professional greeting for the Telehealth Scheduling & Billing Line Provides outstanding customer service to all internal and external customers including our patients, visitors, co-workers, physicians, and insurance companies. Keeps all wait times to a minimum.
- Maintains good human relations by interacting appropriately and professionally during conflict or stressful situations in a manner that facilitates constructive resolutions. Works in a professional manner with other departments to ensure the best possible service for our patients.
- Respects at all times the confidentiality of patient records and uses complete discretion when discussing patient matters. Ensures all patient information is secured and all paperwork is disposed of in appropriate confidential trash receptacles.
- Demonstrates an open attitude toward change and participates in the change process. Handles variance in job duties, making necessary adaptations.
- Adheres to Mercy policies and procedures including attendance, dress code and safety and disaster plans.
- Accurately identifies patient record using a minimum of two patient identifiers (name, DOB, SSN) ensuring that the correct patient is always selected and minimizing duplicate MRN errors.
- Accurately inputs all patient demographics and insurance information into the patient record in Epic (or applicable health information system)
- Schedules appointments accurately selecting the appropriate location, service, diagnosis and provider. Ensure the appointment is in the Originating Site epic box and the Distant site epic box and all patient demographic information is mirrored in both boxes.
- Obtains all required clinical information including paper requisitions as needed to ensure appropriate pre-certification and follow up can be obtained. Work with the physician’s office when necessary to obtain missing clinical information or authorizations.
- Confirms the telehealth visit took place and all documentation is recorded in appropriate boxes in Epic.
- Schedules follow up visits as requested by Physician in a timely manner.
- Enters appropriate charges which may include HB and PB charges for both IP and OP telemedicine visits following telemedicine billing processes in correct Epic boxes.
- Monitors and works over 20 billing workqueue’s.
- Works referral workqueue’s in all 3 EPIC boxes.
- Runs daily schedules and confirms documentation is ready for next day appointments each day.
- Seeks assistance from others including Manager when scheduling difficulties occur.
- Participates in process calls for each new telemedicine service, including Mercy and non-Mercy facilities to insure all scheduling, registration and billing needs are covered and flow smoothly.
- Works with non-Mercy facilities to schedule telemedicine visits with Mercy clinic specialists.
- Runs a SOW several times daily and schedules visits for IP consults. Consults can be scheduled or stat.
- Keeps contact information spreadsheet for each service line current and communicates changes with the appropriate OS (originating site) and DS (distant site) locations.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the necessary computer applications. Knowledgeable of computer down time procedures, notifying all parties involved and utilizing manual processes appropriately.
- Keeps work areas neat and clean. Respects quiet work zone areas.
- Assists office staff with duties as assigned.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
Education: High School Diploma
Experience: Minimum of 3 years professional billing experience. Epic knowledge preferable.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.