The Surgical Technogist II is responsible for planning and preparing for technically advanced surgical procedures in a multi-service setting.Functions independently or as a collaborative team member in the surgical suite.
Works with surgeon, anesthesiologist, and registered nurses to formulate plan for assigned surgical procedure.
- Assess and evaluate the special needs of an assignment.
- Collaborates with circulator and determines special order items, and arranges for procurement.
- Checks case cart requisitions according to procedure and specific doctor's preference card.
- Plans for patient care by checking case cart for entire shift.
- Organizes supplies and equipment at beginning of shift to facilitate fast turnovers and avoid equipment and supply conflicts.
- Update doctors' preference cards for change as stated in department policy.
Assist surgeon during surgery in a knowledgeable, efficient and courteous manner.
- Preps and drapes patient as prescribed by a planned procedure.
- Functions as first assistant or first scrub as assigned and according to department policy limitations.
- Identify and preserve specimens received during surgery according to department policy.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon based on the surgical tech's knowledge.
- Offers suggestions to surgeon based on advanced experience to facilitate the procedure.
Prepares equipment, instruments, and supplies for efficient utilization. This includes advanced knowledge of highly technical supplies and equipment.
- Takes a proactive role in selection of supplies by suggesting lower cost alternatives as appropriate.
- Is cognizant of supply costs, opening only supplies necessary.
- Knowledgeable about specialty supplies and equipment. Performs preoperative checks to assure proper function, trouble shooting as needed.
- Demonstrates the need to handle delicate and specialty equipment with care and the need for proper storage.
- Acts as a resource to less experienced operating room personnel regarding use and handling of specialty supplies and equipment.
Provide a safe environment for patients and co-workers.
- Understands the principles of aseptic technique and observes for breaks in sterile techniques.
- Verify drugs and solution received from circulating nurse according to department procedure.
- Demonstrates the need for accurate counts and performs counts according to department policy.
- Demonstrates understanding of OR sanitation practices. Upon completion of procedures or at the end of the day, properly handles contaminated supplies and equipment.
- Participates in site/side and procedure verification by checking schedules and communicating with team members and patient.
Universal precautions and infection control guidelines are followed at all times.
- Perform all surgical hand scrubs according to department procedure. Is able to instruct others in scrub procedures.
- Proper OR attire is worn at all times according to department policy.
- Contaminated supplies, instrumentation, and equipment shall be handled according to department standards of care.
- Adheres to department procedure for confine and contain.
- Transports contaminated instruments in a covered manner to the decontamination area.
Demonstrates advanced knowledge as a surgical tech.
- Serves as a resource for other team members and readily shares information to improve patient care.
- Active member of the call team. Can function as first scrub for any trauma case or is an active member of CV Team or Eye Team.
- Participates in orientation and cross training of new employees, students, and department personnel as requested and documented in the chronological.
- Completion of annual case competency skills checklist as verified by case record logs.**see case list.
Participates in organizational activities.
- Attend 75% of department staff meeting and is accountable for all others by reading of minutes.
- Attend all mandatory inservices.
- CPR certification is current.
- Documentation of twelve (12) educational hours in addition to mandatory inservices.
Demonstrates knowledge of special needs and behaviors of specific age groups to include neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the changes associated with aging.
- Demonstrates ability to provide care based upon physical, psychosocial, cultural, safety, and other age related factors.
Performs miscellaneous job duties as assigned.
- Completes special duties as assigned.
- Participates in quarterly department inventory.
- Demonstrates higher level of responsibility by taking initiative to take special projects for smooth operation of department.
Meets needs of customers and needs of the hospital by flexing hours.
- Flexes hours early.
- Stays late when not on call to help with the schedule.
Responds to request for help during unscheduled times.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
Education: High School Graduate with Surgical Technology Course
Certification: Surgical Tech Certification or greater than one year of experience working full-time as a Surgical Tech in a hospital setting, BLS Certification
Experience: One year or more of scrubbing experience in a hospital setting
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.