Responsible to manage the delivery of nursing care to a specific patient population on a 24 hour basis while achieving quality clinical outcomes and maximizing the utilization of resources.
Effectively managing the delivery of nursing care requires creating and promoting a professional practice environment at the unit level that exemplifies a vision and goals congruent with the Medical Center and the respective clinical service line as well as high levels of coworker engagement, patient satisfaction, safe and quality clinical outcomes, financial performance and physician satisfaction. Responsible to implement elements of the Nursing Strategic Plan within their departments. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with our mission, values, and Mercy Service Standards.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Education: Bachelors degree required. Internal transfer applicants without Bachelors degree may be considered if the applicant is willing to actively pursue a Baccalaureate degree once hired into position.
- Actively pursuing a Baccalaureate degree is defined as being enrolled in a Baccalaureate program and completing at least one course per semester.
- Licensure: Must have either a current RN Temporary Permit/RN license in the State of Missouri.
- Experience: A minimum of three years clinical experience required. Previous leadership experience preferred.
- Past experiences must have demonstrated leadership ability, good interpersonal skills, and the ability to apply sound principles of management and supervision. Must be proficient in use of a personal computer and must be able to analyze complex data from various information systems.
- QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED
- Education: BSN required Masters degree preferred.
- Certification/Registration: Certification in specialty area of practice preferred.
Minimum skills, knowledge and ability requirements:
1. Creates an environment within area of responsibility that fosters participation and direction of their department in the overall organizational direction.
- Develops departmental vision and goals that fosters overall accomplishment of the organizational strategies and goals.
- Participate in the development and implementation of the Nursing Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for insuring coworker participation and attendance at Shared
Leadership Councils, department, GUMs, organizational committees, projects and task forces.
2. Directs the overall operations of the assigned patient care department(s) to insure the provision of safe and effective care. Maintains 24-hour accountability for patient care area. Carrying out this responsibility requires:
- Developing staffing plans, schedules, and daily assignments that effectively match resources available and patient care requirements.
- Facilitating rapid patient placement on their patient care area.
- Working collaboratively with other departments to remove operational barriers and maintain a safe environment.
- Actively participating in organizational initiatives to improve the process of care delivery.
- Insuring compliance with established processes of care delivery.
- Working knowledge of policies and procedures throughout the organization and insures utilization of them for consistent compliance.
3. Directs and actively participates in activities that foster continuous performance improvement in achieving excellence in clinical outcomes, insuring safe and quality patient care processes. Accomplishing these responsibilities requires:
- Developing a working knowledge of professional nursing standards of practice and care, including but not limited to, Scope and Standards for Nurse Administrators, ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses, JCAHO standards, and state/federal licensing regulations.
- Identifying quality outcomes relevant to the patient population being served.
- Establishing a process to monitor performance against identified outcomes and utilizing the data to improve the care for patients.
- Insuring that the patients experience of care is reflected by a very high level of satisfaction.
- Ongoing implementation of the National safety patient goals to insure the processes of care delivery are reflective of a culture of safety.
- Utilizing evidence based practice and research to develop and keep nursing
standards of care current.
- Actively implement the organizational strategies and initiatives relative to Mercy Service.
- Insure effective mechanisms for ongoing communication between and among departments and disciplines that provide care to the patient population being served.
- Understands and maximizes the utilization of information technology to facilitate process changes.
4. Directs the human resource management for the patient care department (s) in a manner that is congruent with the policies, procedures and mercy service standards of behavior. Effectively managing the human resource function of the patient care area (s) requires:
- Keeping self informed by attending and participating in management
meetings/forums and assigned committee/task force meetings.
- Utilizing the hiring for fit tools available to insure the appropriate selection and hiring of new coworkers.
- Implementing initiatives within the department that foster retention and minimize turnover of coworkers.
- Insure initial and ongoing competency of the coworkers within the department.
- Establishing competencies required for each job class of coworkers within the department.
- Effectively evaluating the performance of each coworker on an annual basis to promote continual professional development as well as establishing mechanism to provide goal-oriented performance feedback at intervals throughout the year.
- Providing and insuring participation in ongoing continuing education and professional development opportunities for all coworkers.
- Implementing an active unit based mercy service team as part of the shared leadership model.
- Establish effective communication mechanisms that promote and facilitate two-way dialogue with all coworkers.
- Insures that coworkers have the training, equipment and tools necessary to safely carry out the assigned patient care responsibilities.
- Create an environment that promotes professional practice.
- Participate personally in professional development activities both internal and external.
- Demonstrating facilitation and communication skills both with individuals and in groups.
- Building work teams that are focused on achieving service excellence.
5. Directs and demonstrates the effective utilization of fiscal resources to promote quality and safe patient care. As a responsible steward of the fiscal resources, necessary to provide for patient care needs and meet established financial targets requires:
- Ability to develop operational and capital budgets each fiscal year.
- Ongoing management of costs and productivity.
- Ability to plan utilization of resources in order to meet the financial targets.
- Managing the revenue stream and opportunities.
- Analyzing financial variances related to the resource utilization plan and implementing timely corrective actions.
- Utilizing tools/resources available to evaluate and improve financial performance.
- Identifying ongoing opportunities to improve the financial performance of the patient care department.
- Demonstrating effective utilization of supplies and equipment.
- Compliance with all payroll policies and practices.
6. In order to continuously improve our ability to provide effective nursing leadership, ongoing personal and professional development must be pursued. Activities to demonstrate this development include:
- Membership and participation in professional organization at local or national level.
- Pursuing continuing education in both clinical specialty practice area and leadership with a minimum of 40 hours per year.
- Pursuing Certification in Nursing Administration when eligibility requirements are met.
- Maintaining clinical competence in the delivery of patient care for patient population being served.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.