We’re a Little Different
Our mission is clear. We bring to life a healing ministry through our compassionate care and exceptional service.
We don’t believe in jobs at Mercy, we believe in careers that match the unique gifts of unique individuals; careers that not only make the most of your skills and talents, but also your heart.
At Mercy, you’ll feel our supportive community every step of your day, especially the tough ones. We’re a team and love working that way. That team is expanding, and we currently have exceptional opportunities to help our communities grow.
Primarily responsible for providing expertise in reviewing and assigning accurate medical codes for diagnoses, procedures, and services performed by physicians and other qualified healthcare providers in the office or facility setting (e.g., inpatient hospital)
Abstract information from the medical record for each patient encounter. Accountable for conversion of diagnoses and procedures to the appropriate code(s) in accordance with applicable Coding Guidelines. Ensures accuracy and maintains integrity of medical record/claims data prior to entry in the billing system. Ensures that all records are coded in an accurate and timely manner. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with our mission, values, and Mercy Service Standards.
1. Works independently utilizing advanced, specialized knowledge of medical codes and coding procedures to assign and sequence appropriate diagnostic/procedure billing codes, in compliance with third party payer requirements, to post charges in a timely manner
2. Reviews Work Queue daily and reviews physician coding for accuracy
3. Working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology necessary to correctly code provider diagnosis and services.
4. Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with physician, coworkers, Central Business Office and customers to resolve issues. Fosters a team approach and positive attitude to developing work processes and problem solving.
5. Investigate and re-submit denials from insurance companies.
6. Adheres to basic ethical principals associated with governmental and insurance company reimbursements. Reports any observed questionable activities to the appropriate compliance officer or administrative manager.
7. Adheres to basic ethical principals associated with government and insurance company reimbursements. Reports any observed questionable activiteis to the appropriate compliance officer or administrative manager.
8. Assist with data quality monitoring activities such as identifying and tagging appropriate records for ongoing studies of the Performance Improvement area.
9. Upholds and adheres to HIPAA regulations
10. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of changes and regulations that affect reimbursement of claims
11. Provide mentoring to non-certified coders
12. Consistently meets or exceeds quality requirments per the Audit and Compliance Department
- Outstanding 98-100% accuracy
- Very effective 96-97% accuracy
- Effective 95% accuracy
- Needs Improvement less than 95%
13. Ability to adapt and repsond positively to change.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.