Provides professional nursing care to patients within the medical practice in support of, and as directed by, the physicians. Assists the physician in the treatment of the patients and completes related clinical paperwork. The incumbent in this position shall carry out his or her responsibilities and integrate into his or her work ethic the Mercy Philosophy of caring for the sick and suffering, respect for human life and the dignity of each person, applying Christian values to all crucial human issues in the area over which he or she has responsibility. In communicating with patients, families, visitors and employees, a caring, friendly, personal and professional approach is expected. Performs related duties as assigned.
- Escorts patient to examination rooms, obtains and/or reviews medical history and complaint of patient, assesses patients observed condition, takes and records vital signs.
- Prepares patient for examination by physician. Provides for patient safety. Assists physician with treatment of patient.
- Cleans and stocks examination rooms including laying out special equipment or supplies to be used during a patient visit.
- Performs procedures of care specific to the specialty of the clinical unit.
- Assists with lab and x-ray procedures as required.
- Answers patient phone calls, obtains patient chart, confers with physician as required and returns patient calls within established time frames.
- Documents ICD-9 and CPT codes as required.
- Organizes patient charts and reviews last dictation. Records all prescribed patient information on corresponding chart.
- Assists with crash cart reviews and instruction in emergency care.
- Administers I.M., subcuaneous and intradermal injections as required. Assists with IV therapy, if certified.
- Performs proper handling and storage of all medications.
- Assists in any urgent care situations that might arise in medical office setting.
- Cleans and sterilizes medical equipment and instruments.
- Performs administrative duties associated with managed care and referrals.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional affiliations.
- Sends cards or calls patients for notification of test results (mammograms, lab, hemmocult card, Pap smear, missed appointment) per physician instructions.
- Performs clerical duties. Pulls and files charts. Enters scheduling and required documentation in computer. Performs reception and scheduling duties.
- Observes universal precautions consistently. Wears proper personal protective equipment when appropriate.
- Wears clothing and Health System badge consistent with dress code, and attends to personal hygiene to maintain a clean, well-groomed appearance. Meets Health System attendance standards.
- Performs other duties as directed.
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from an accredited school of practical nursing. Knowledge of the principles and skills needed for practical nursing, care, examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures. Knowledge of medications and their effects, patient education, principles to develop a self-care program, instruments and common safety practices.
- Licensure: Current valid state license.
- Certifications: Current CPR certification or willing to obtain within 90 days of employment.
- Other: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: Skill in assisting and performing a variety of medical treatments and procedures. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations. Must be able to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and policies. Must be able to communicate clearly and establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, staff and the public. Basic computer terminal and keyboard skills, or the ability to learn these skills, in order to access information and enter clinical data. Equipment Used: Must be able to operate equipment normally related to the specialty of the clinic.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, and employer-matched retirement funds, even to part-time employees. We’re proud to provide tuition reimbursement to help you grow and learn new skills.
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.