Under the direction of the Nursing staff, will provide a wide variety of duties related to patient care, clerical support, and surgical assistance. Assists in the individualized care of the patient to achieve the patients highest level of wellness. Works cooperatively with others as part of a team and recognizes the importance of group goals. Performs designated clinical procedures and non clinical support tasks essential to providing care to the patient. Assists in operational support tasks including maintenance of patient records, room control, patient registration, charge capture, ensuring adequate and proper supplies, and Birth Certificate entry. Responds to patient requests within authorized scope of knowledge and skills. Using sterile technique, prepares delivery rooms for C-section cases; surgically assists physicians with procedures and functions effectively in obstetrical emergencies. Prepares and turns over delivery rooms after delivery. Assists with the collection and transport of specimens. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with our mission, values, and Mercy Service Standards.
- Complies with Infection Control Guidelines
- Adheres to hospital wide and specific department safety regulations
- Follows Confidentiality Policy/Procedure
- Complies with patients rights/regulations
- Keeps hallways free of equipment and clutter
- Performs equipment safety checks, reports faulty equipment/initiates repair
- Follows policy/procedure for completion of incident reports
- Labels, secures, and respects all patient and guests personal property
- Assesses safety needs and provides for a safe environment
- Adheres to Counting Policy: Instruments, Sponges, Narcotics
Coordination of Services
- Assists in orientation of new personnel
- Prioritizes appropriately and uses time wisely
- Participates in activities that ensure and enhance quality of patient care
- Procures and maintains adequate number of supplies and equipment
- Maintains accurate Census information
- Greets patients, family and visitors when arriving on Unit.
- Maintains safety and security of our patients by adhering do Locked Unit processes
- Answers doorbell, telephone calls and call lights promptly and professionally
- Keeps staffing sheet and white board updated with patient information, staffing assignments, zone numbers
- Accepts delegation of tasks
- Demonstrates knowledge of emergency procedures, maintains control and efficiency in routine and difficult situations
- Assists patients with daily hygiene measures and activities of daily living as appropriate: assists to bathroom, ambulation, meal trays, snacks, water
- Participates in admission, discharge and transfer of patients and their belongings. Orients patient to the environment. Completes necessary registration and room assignments. Sets up rooms for admissions. Strips rooms after discharge.
- Performs clerical duties as necessary (i.e., assembles admission packets, answers telephones, doorbell, monitors call lights, nurse assignments in call light, nurse assignments in Health Record, Birth Certificate process and computer entry, displays working knowledge of selected computer functions).
- Gathers and records patient data
- Assures patient charges/credits are entered appropriately
- Demonstrates flexibility regarding workload, assignments and change. Accepts and completes special assignments as directed.
- Participates in Team Huddles
- Assists in Hourly Rounding
- Sets up sterile delivery table
- Handles soiled instruments and sterile supplies appropriately, prepares soiled instruments for Central Service
- Transports properly labeled specimens to lab in a timely manner
- Sets up room prior to case following departmental procedures.
- Checks spotlights and suction canister, gathers all needed supplies and sets up tables using sterile technique
- Functions effectively as a scrub technician. Responsible for maintaining sterile technique, passing instruments, accurate sponge and needle counts, specimen collection and conservation of supplies
- Upon completion of case, cleans up room according to established guidelines. Collects all instruments and suction canister and removes, assists in collection and removal of all trash and linen
- Accepts delegation of tasks
- communicates with other members of the health care team to optimize the care of the patient
- Maintains a positive attitude
- demonstrates knowledge of information dissemination in Huddles
- Provides patients and their families with explanations of care and psychological support under the direction of the nurse.
- Observes changes or unusual occurrences in patient condition and reports them immediately to the appropriate personnel.
- Completes charge capture process
- Monitor census and patient log sheets
- Identifies cost savings opportunities or operational insufficiencies
- Maintains minimal paper records
- Prepares paper charts for admissions/transfer/discharges
- Assures all aspects of chart labeled correctly
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of computer/printer functions
- Demonstrates knowledge of phone system, zone phones, locked unit, infant alarm system, call light.
- Utilizes trouble shooting for fax/copier/tube system
Because you’re committed to excellence, you understand the importance of being properly prepared for your role at Mercy. That’s why you’ll bring to your role the right set of qualifications:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required.
Licensure: Current CNA or Scrub Tech
Experience: Previous medical experience as CNA, Scrub Tech
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.