Provides social work services for patients and families to enhance their psychosocial functioning. Performs duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with our mission, values, and Mercy Service Standards.
We’re all unique pieces of a puzzle at Mercy, connected together to create a beautiful picture of health. And being the perfect fit for your role requires a specific set of qualifications that you’ll bring with you:
- Education: Master's degree in Social Work
- Licensure: Current license in Social Work, Master’s level or above, in the state of employment required (includes LMSW and LCSW)
- Experience: 2-3 years’ experience in IP or OP hospital or clinic setting. Experience using clinical aspects of medical Social Work.
Other: Co-worker must be able to communicate orally and in writing. Co-worker must be able to listen and to understand and explain complex situations.
- Strong assessment skills, time management skills, critical thinking skills.
- The assessment, care and treatment provided by Social Worker II will be consistent with the specific age-related needs of the patient. Is competent to care for patient age groups of adult and geriatric patients.
- Skills and knowledge of human behavior and clinical aspects of medical Social Work.
- Acute care setting preferred
- Works closely with the Oncology Nurse Navigation Team as well as other interdisciplinary team members.
- Serves as advocate for the patient/family to the interdisciplinary team and encourages patient/family participation in the plan of treatment and follow care.
- Is knowledgeable of community resources and utilizes resources wisely for practical and complex needs of the patient and families.
- Assures that the related emotional and social needs of the patient are met and maintained on an individual basis.
- Completes initial assessments on each patient to include demographic and psychosocial information. Assures information is documented in medical record for each discipline to use.
- Assists patients and family members with identifying and referring follow-up needs for ongoing mental health, medical, and other services.
- Ongoing knowledge and understanding of insurance related issues and processes.
- Completes required documentation on clinical record.
- Facilitates and participates in patient support groups and programs.
- Keeps abreast of regulatory changes. Participates in annual review and revision of policies.
- Demonstrates flexibility regarding workload, assignments, and change.
- Communicates with patients and families in a timely manner regarding patients' needs.
- Develops and maintains relationships with community agencies.
- Communicates patient goals and changes in status to other interdisciplinary team members and utilizes input to revise intervention for optimum patient benefit.
- Makes independent decisions in routine and complex situations and informs appropriate persons of actions and results.
- Gives thorough information to Clinical Manager or other covering clinicians as needed.
- Maintains knowledge base of technology available through continuing education and applies knowledge to current social work practice.
- Has a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Complies with Mercy Safety/Risk Management policies.
We’ll Support You at Work and Home
Our foundations are built on dignity and respect. Modern Healthcare Magazine named us as a “top 100 places to work.” We go out of our way to help people feel welcomed. We offer day-one comprehensive health, vision and dental coverage, PTO, tuition reimbursement and employer-matched retirement funds to benefit-eligible co-workers, including those working 48 hours or more per pay period!
What Makes a Good Match for Mercy
Compassion and professionalism go hand-in-hand with us, along with exceptional quality care. Having a positive outlook and a strong sense of advocacy is in perfect step with our mission and vision. We’re also collaborative and are not afraid to do a little extra to deliver excellent care – that’s just part of our commitment. If that sounds like a fit for you as well, we encourage you to apply.